Kitchen cabinets can play a significant part in home renovations in Raleigh, NC, because they are likely to account for a substantial portion of the budget. As a matter of fact, the average cost to replace or install kitchen cabinets in the US is around $5,000 to $6,000. Therefore, you must have a thorough understanding of the different kitchen cabinet styles available in Raleigh, NC, and all of the differences that exist in terms of quality and shape.
Related Blog: What are the factors involved in remodeling a kitchen?
Kitchen cabinets are divided into four categories.
The shape and size of your kitchen will determine which types of cabinets are needed to finish the space.
- Wall cabinets: Upper cabinets mounted to the wall are referred to as wall cabinets. Flat to the ceiling and floating above the worktops are options for these cabinets. Wall cabinets never come with drawers, but they can be customized with shelves at various heights to meet the specific demands of the Wake County homeowner. The hanging rail, the box frame, and the cabinet doors are the three essential components that must be installed during the installation process.
- Base cabinets: Base cabinets are the lower cabinets flush with the floor. They serve as the structural underpinning for the countertops, cooktop, and kitchen sink, among other things. In addition to providing a greater amount of storage space for pots, pans, and small appliances, base cabinets can also be equipped with drawers placed above the cabinet doors. The fronts of the drawers are often designed to complement the style of the doors.
- Tall or pantry cabinets: Tall cabinets (also known as pantry cabinets) are significantly larger than wall and base cabinets — with heights ranging between 84” and 96”. The styles of cabinets available in this category include pull-out pantries with plenty of storage space for spices and baking supplies and cabinets that can accommodate a microwave and wall oven combo.
- Specialty cabinets: Rectangular cabinets will not be enough to outfit an entire kitchen, and you may need to incorporate some specialty cabinets to complete the project. Corner cabinets, for example, are designed to provide a smooth transition when two walls come together. They are the same as the base cabinets in terms of height and depth. The inside can be designed in various ways, including using a lazy Susan to increase storage space. You can also request your general contractor in Wake County, NC, to add bottle racks or plate hutches.
There are three different grades of kitchen cabinets.
When it comes to choosing kitchen cabinets, you can choose from three different grades, each of which influences both quality and pricing.
Stock: A stock cabinet is the least expensive of the available options. There is no room for customization, and you will only be able to pick from a limited number of cabinet door styles. However, stock cabinets are not only cost-effective, but they are also delivered quickly — as manufacturers often have them in stock, and you do not have to wait for them to be designed and built. They are an excellent choice if you need the job done as quickly as possible.
Semi-custom: Semi-custom cabinets provide a nice balance between being able to pick some of the finishing details and not having to wait an inordinate amount of time for them to be built and delivered. Semi-custom cabinets might take anything from two weeks to two months to complete. In addition, there are often more kitchen design options available for you to pick from. Also available for customization are the color of the stain or paint and the shelving configuration inside the cabinets.
Custom: Custom cabinetry is the most expensive grade of cabinets and takes the longest to complete. The advantage is that you can customize your kitchen cabinets to your exact requirements, including unusual heights and depths and any type of finish and cabinet door style you like. A manufacturer can create an absolutely distinctive style. Custom cabinets can take up to four months to complete since each piece is made to order.
Five types of different kitchen cabinet styles.
The design of your kitchen cabinets is heavily influenced by the style of your kitchen. Some options are more traditional in appearance, while others are more modern.
- Shaker style: Shaker cabinet doors are one of the most popular styles of kitchen cabinet doors available on the market. Clean lines and recessed panels distinguish them from other alternatives, and they provide a great deal of stylistic versatility, complementing both classic and modern styles alike. Because of the widespread popularity of this style in Wake County, it is easy to find shaker-style stock cabinets.
- Flat-panel: A flat panel cabinet design (also known as a slab cabinet) is a contemporary kitchen cabinet style that offers a streamlined appearance. Each cabinet door is a single, smooth panel — and there are no frames. Because only the panel is visible from the front of the cabinet, any box can be used, which is a significant advantage.
- Inset door style: The door of an inset cabinet is flush with the cabinet rather than being hinged outside of the frame. The construction process is meticulous to ensure that each door fits perfectly within the box frame.
- Raised panels: Raised panel doors, as opposed to flat panel doors, have the center panel of the door raised to give the door a 3D effect. You can choose a monochromatic finish or a two-tone effect between the frame and the center panel.
- Glass-front panels: Glass cabinets allow you to see right through the cabinet door to show off whatever is stored inside. Glass-front panels are often reserved for wall cabinets, where they can be used to display your china set, barware collection, or other valuable possessions.
Are you planning a kitchen cabinet replacement and installation project in Wake County, NC?
Whether you are looking into a specific style of kitchen cabinets or you want an expert design consultation, we can help. Glasgow Design Build is a general contracting firm specializing in creating new spaces and renovating the existing ones. Whether you are planning on revamping a kitchen or building a porch/deck, you can trust us for the job. We are a Raleigh-licensed company that meets and exceeds the expectations of all of our clients. Feel free to fill out an online form to schedule an appointment.